410-549-1135

Pet Tips

Beware of Acorn Poisoning!

By Dru Luers, November 16, 2015

Autumn is such a great time to get out with our four-legged friends and admire the ever-changing colors in nature. It is also the time to be diligent about our training.

It is common for dogs to have access to oak tree leaves and acorns this time of year - but did you know they are poisonous? Acorn poisoning can cause liver and kidney damage as well as death if not caught in time. Signs of illness include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, lack of appetite and lethargy.

Teaching your dog a strong "leave it" and "drop" can literally be a life saver. "Leave it" is a great asset to have for multiple uses. For example, if you are walking down a sidewalk and your dog becomes interested in an object, like an acorn, that you don't want them to have, "leave it" keeps the dog focused on you and the walk and not on the object.

"Drop" is another necessary tool to have. If you are playing in the back yard and your dog happens to pick up an acorn or walnut instead of the ball you just threw, "drop" can prevent an emergency trip to the vet.

Both of these tools are not learned over night. You start by teaching these with items that have no value to your dog and are gradually increased in value.

If you would like to learn more about these and other training necessities, sign up for our Refine Your Relationship: Basic Manners class or ask about our private training sessions.